No antibiotics or hormones are used in out Berkshire Pork.
No. Never have and never will.
Whey is a fraction of milk the after product of cheese making.
The Chart below is provided for comparison:
|Fresh Whole Milk||Whey|
|Crude Protein, %||23.4||9.7|
|Crude Fat, %||25.8||2.1|
|ME||4858 Kcal/Kg||3322 Kcal/Kg|
|NE||3849 Kcal/Kg||2725 Kcal/Kg|
|Total Lysine, %||1.81||0.72|
(ME = Metabolizable Energy / NE = Net Energy)
- Fresh Whole Milk provides a Hog with:
- An excellent Amino Acid balance
- High levels of A and B complex vitamins
- More essential nutrients than any other feed ingredient and is both highly Digestible and Palatable
- Energy and Vigor by virtue of its milk fat and milk sugars
Because our aim is to be sustainable and its exercise is placed among myriad options. As the word sustain itself means to hold from below the purpose of this rootedness is permanence. As permanence is not a substance we can only hold it as an ideal. It is the same for “zero entropy”, the name that would achieve permanence with matter.
Any integrated agricultural system is a practice. Practice still understood as an ongoing deed that pursues an ideal. And any practice must be affordable to its Patrons.
Above is an exemplary "zero" entropy integrated agricultural system.
Below are the features of sustainable agriculture.
"Sustainable agriculture" was addressed by Congress in the 1990 "Farm Bill" [Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990 (FACTA), Public Law 101-624, Title XVI, Subtitle A, Section 1603 (Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1990) NAL Call # KF1692.A31 1990]. Under that law, "the term sustainable agriculture means an integrated system of plant and animal production practices having a site-specific application that will, over the long term:
- satisfy human food and fiber needs;
- enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends;
- make the most efficient use of nonrenewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls;
- sustain the economic viability of farm operations; and
- enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole."
As you can see from the diagram above, recycling every farm calorie- except that lost as heat, for which there is no capture- is an elaborate and capital intensive proposition. It is why sustainable production transcends organic production even as the latter aspires to the same goals as outlined in the bullet points above; but, does not practically mandate ideal zero entropy food production in its organic production bylaws.
Uncured meats are not raw meats. Uncured meats are prepared without the use of nitrites/nitrates. It is the heat of the natural wood smoking process that imparts subtle flavor while providing natural antimicrobial properties.
No, with the exception of bacon which should be cooked. Our ham, bratwurst, wieners and bologna can be heated and served to taste.
This is a naturally occurring trait of the Berkshire Pig breed. Nothing artificial about it.
Yes. Please inquire of us options including whole and half hogs, unique sausages, custom smoking and custom portions.
No products from the FVB line are ever irradiated.